Successful business leaders work on their own self-confidence to lead to business growth.
I have not always been a confident person. In fact, I’ve dealt with social anxiety to the point where I had to seek professional help. Starting in one place does not mean that’s where you must remain.
One thing to keep in mind is that you cannot run from every social situation. If you continue to hide from what you’re afraid of, you will continue the cycle. Confidence can be built over time by tweaking characteristics that leave you lacking. It comes from knowing some things will be a challenge, yet you can overcome it.
I have come up with a few tips and words of wisdom to help you start overcoming in areas where you may lack confidence.
Nobody likes perfection.
When you get over the fact that no one is perfect and start to realize that relating to people is how you gain trust, your business will thrive!
- You must make the conscious decision to relate to others like you versus trying to be perfect. Sharing your progress as a REAL person will help build that trust. Show them your journey along the way – let them see that it can be possible for them, too.
- Whatever you put out there makes you YOU. Not ever post will be perfect. Not ever video will go seamlessly. Sharing those imperfections makes you more relatable. Tweak what may not have worked to build forward. Pay attention to what your audience wants to see and appreciate the encouragement they show you!
Whomever you may be… BE YOU! Don’t try to be like anyone else. You are one of a kind. You are a limited edition. When you try to copy what others are doing, you are doing a disservice to yourself and your audience – they want to support you, not your idea of what you should be.
Sometimes you simply have to jump and build your wings on the way down. Much of entrepreneurship is like learning to ride a bike. You must partake in a series of experiences over and over again to learn that you can do it and build you confidence along the way.
- Find out what your audience wants through trial and error. Not every thing you try will work, but that’s ok! You’ll never know if something is a hit or a miss if you never attempt to make it happen.
- Don’t get stuck on the negative stuff. People will always tell you “no.” Some folks find it necessary to give you negative feedback. Negativity from others should not reflect on you. Usually, it stems from you challenging their confidence and making them uncomfortable. It has nothing to do with you personally.
- Focus on the people you are helping. When you approach your business with the mentality that you are truly there to help people not to just sell a product, you are leading with integrity. You aren’t hurting others nor lying about what you have to offer. Be present on the front lines – show others they can achieve what you have achieved or are working towards achieving.
Love what you do and don’t be afraid to show it!!
Find your circle.
Build a barrier around negativity. It’s so easy to fall into a trap of spiraling into a hole of negativity if you are allowing a constant stream of it into your life. Negativity breeds negativity. Positivity breeds positivity.
- Don’t fall prey to negativity. Stop and think for a moment : are those you surround yourself with lifting you up or are they pulling you down? If those around you are constantly speaking badly about themselves or others, pretty soon you may realize you’re speaking poorly of yourself and others. If they are people who spread the love with others and have positive self-talk, you may notice that you begin lifting others and yourself up in praise.
- Build a circle of positivity and yours will grow, too. When I started distancing myself from those with negative attitudes and began replacing them with people who see the glass half full, it made me feel so much better! Surrounding myself with positive energy made me realize the type of people I intentionally want to be around.
Pour into personal development. You can surround yourself with positive influences, but take it a step farther by feeding your mind with good energy to help you grow mentally, too!
Change your state.
Do things that make you feel good now matter how you’re feeling. Crawl out of bed with a headache? Do your workout, take a shower, get dressed, crank up some feel-good music, and tell yourself what an amazing day you’re going to have!
- Positive affirmations are good for the mind, body, and soul. Remind yourself what an incredible person you are. Focus on how many lives you will change by being energize and present. Remember that negative self-talk will become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Find the positives in every situation!
- Have a mindset that you’ll figure it out. When you project confidence, you will feel confident in what you’re doing… even if you have no idea what you’re doing!
When you change your state of mind, you change the response and reaction you will receive – from others and yourself.
Growth in your business starts with making a conscious decision to be positive and confident. Speak to yourself in a way you want to see yourself. You have to do the things that make you uncomfortable. Those situations where you take a leap of faith will help you grow.
Be sure to tune in to Melanie Mitro every Tuesday at 10am EST for my Business Tip of the week!